You’re 18, graduating from high school and enrolling in college. You’re thinking: OMG, I’m going to have the time of my life. And you probably will, you get loose, wild and free. YOLO, right? But keep in mind that some of your YOLO moments could end up in STD moments. Coming up, 10 facts about STDs and college:
1. We know you probably think: STD’s? Ohw I’ll never catch one, I’m invincible. Stop kidding yourself. One in every four college students has an STD.
2. Condom use amongst college students is incredibly low. Only 54% of students regularly use condoms during vaginal intercourse, 29% during anal and just 4% during oral. Condoms help prevent catching STDs, you know.
3. In 2004 a total of 838 girls got tested for STDs. 18 % of these girls had the Human Papillomavirus, 4% had Chlamydia, 2,5% had Trichomoniasis and 2% had herpes. The worst part is that most of them didn’t even know that they were infected.
4. According to the CDC researchers approximately 19 million new sexually transmitted infections occur each year. Mostly among 15 – to – 24 – year – olds.
5. Because 80% of people who have an STD don’t have any noticeable symptoms, they don’t get tested. This causes them to spread the STDs.
6. HPV is the number one STD on college campuses.
7. Being drunk and thinking of safe sex, it doesn’t work. 45% of college freshmen that have been binge drinking failed to consider the usage of contraceptive aids when having sex. 15% of these students actually got or spread STDs.
8. Some people think that they can tell if someone has an STD just by looking at them. Statistics prove differently.
9. Men actually know how to use a condom and even think that men should carry a condom at all times “just in case”. As the men’s percentage is at 87, women’s is a bit lower: 60%. Girls, be smart and protect yourselves!
10.Last but not least. Define ‘in a relationship’. Make sure that both you and your partner know where you stand with each other. Are you certain that you’re only sleeping with each other?
If you want to read the full article, check out elite.daily.com.